Attorney General William Barr knew about two contemporaneous federal investigations into Hunter Biden for months — and worked to keep them from the public ahead of the election, according to a new report.
The nation’s top law enforcement official avoided providing information about the probes to Republicans in Congress without explanation, a person familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal.
One of the investigations was made public this week, when the 50-year-old son of President-elect Joe Biden disclosed on Wednesday that he was being probed for possible tax fraud.
Hunter Biden is also implicated in a broader international financial investigation by federal prosecutors in Manhattan, two people familiar with the case told the Journal. That probe has been going on for at least a year. Hunter Biden, however, was never a specific target for criminal prosecution, according to the Journal.
Barr is said to have been aware of the federal scrutiny — which dates back to 2018 — into Hunter Biden since before the spring. But how and when he first learned of the probes isn’t clear.
Investigators worked to make sure news of the investigations didn’t become public before the presidential election, as per Justice Department guidelines that prohibit activity that could influence a political race.
President Trump and his Republican allies have repeatedly urged the AG to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the Bidens.
“Republicans are pissed” at Barr, a senior Capitol Hill aide told The Post Friday after news of the pair of probes broke.
On Thursday night, Trump railed against the timing, tweeting, “Why didn’t the Fake News Media, the FBI and the DOJ report the Biden matter BEFORE the Election.”
Trump campaign spokesman Hogan Gidley also blasted mainstream media as a “punchline” for failing to pick up The Post’s exclusive coverage of Hunter Biden’s overseas business dealings — revealing a trove of emails that showed him selling access to his father.
“Covering this whole thing up and not allowing the American people to know it and to try and pretend as though the reason this doesn’t come forward is because it would affect the election — not bringing it forward affected the election as well,” Gidley said of Barr on Fox News Friday.
Author : Lia Eustachewich
- Another Republican Who Voted To Impeach Trump Decides Not To Run Again In 2022
- Nicki Minaj Exposes MSNBC’s Joy Reid As A High Priestess In Alphabet Mafia Cult
- 8 Things To Know About Democrats’ Tax Increase Bill
- Newsom Bans Most Single-Family-Only Zoning In California
- Is The FAA Covering For Biden’s Bridge Encampment Disaster
- AOC Hit With Second Met Gala Ethics Complaint
- That’s A Setup: Capitol Fence Comes Back Up; Trump Weighs In On Rally
- Men Are Bypassing College, And That’s Fine
- 70% Call Afghan Withdrawal A National Humiliation
- Gabby Petito Pal Suspicious Of Phone Call Before She Went Missing
- Biden Administration Whistles Past The Border As Crisis Worsens
- Pentagon Confirms Botched Drone Strike Killed Innocent Civilians, Not ISIS-K
- Americans Brace For Utility Bill Sticker Shock
- Amazon Blocks Ad For Book Investigating Black Lives Matter
- France Rips Biden For Cutting It Out Of Anti-China Defense Deal