Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) fired back the perfect response to Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal on Sunday after the Connecticut lawmaker promised to boycott Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation.
In a lengthy Twitter rant, Blumenthal called Barrett’s nomination an “illegitimate sham process.” He claimed “Barrett’s views would harm real lives” — citing health care and female reproductive rights — and ultimately vowed to boycott her entire confirmation process.
“I will refuse to treat this process as legitimate & will not meet with Judge Amy Coney Barrett,” Blumenthal said.
I will oppose the confirmation of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, as I would any nominee proposed as part of this illegitimate sham process, barely one month before an election as Americans are already casting their votes. Americans deserve a voice in this hugely consequential decision.
— Richard Blumenthal (@SenBlumenthal) September 26, 2020
The Texas senator said Blumenthal’s promise to boycott Barrett is not a bad thing. In fact, Cruz said it would be beneficial if every Democratic senator took the same position as Blumenthal.
That way, Barrett would be confirmed to the Supreme Court even quicker.
“Excellent idea! And if you & all your Dem colleagues boycott the hearing altogether, we’ll avoid the political circus & the desperate attempts to smear Judge Barrett and her family,” Cruz said. “And we’ll confirm her faster!”
Excellent idea! And if you & all your Dem colleagues boycott the hearing altogether, we’ll avoid the political circus & the desperate attempts to smear Judge Barrett and her family.
And we’ll confirm her faster! https://t.co/G30D217Cyt
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) September 27, 2020
Unfortunately for Cruz, Democrats, despite not having enough votes in the Senate to block Barrett’s nomination, are not going to stand by idly.
According to Politico, Senate Democrats are going to use every weapon in their arsenal to try and delay Barrett’s unstoppable confirmation.
Senate Democrats can’t stop Mitch McConnell from confirming a new Supreme Court justice, but they are already planning to make it as painful as possible. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has his caucus on board with an effort to disrupt and obstruct Senate Republicans, using a wide range of procedural tools to try to make it difficult for the Senate majority leader.
Interviews with more than a dozen Democratic senators revealed broad support for disrupting the Supreme Court confirmation process, even if the strategy yields some collateral damage. Yet Democrats facing tough reelections and those who typically spurn delay tactics overwhelmingly support the hardball campaign, potentially putting them at increased risk of losing their seats.
The options of disruptment include invoking the rarely-used “two-hour rule,” denying a quorum, calling points of order and motions to adjourn, delaying legislative business, and delaying the final Senate Judiciary Committee vote on Barrett, according to Politico.
“Process is everything. So if you’re going to use the process to try to steal an election, then we’re going to use the process to try to do everything for that not to happen,” Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) told Politico.
Author : Chris Enloe
Join Our Mailing List
- Biden HHS Spending $60 Million Each Week To House Migrant Children
- Tennessee The 20th State To Abolish Concealed Permit Requirement
- Meet Joe Biden’s ATF Head: He Wants You To Register Your Rifles
- Trump, Other Potential GOP Contenders, Gathering At Major Retreat
- Hundreds Of Sheriffs Call On Biden To Finish Trump’s Border Wall, Stop Gangs, Guns, Dangerous Drugs Entering U.S.
- A Political Power Grab: Biden Creates Commission To Study Packing The Supreme Court
- Zeldin Announces Run For Governor Of NY – We Have To Turn Things Around
- Report Shows Trump’s Net Worth After Presidency – Obama Got Richer While Donald Lost Over $1 Billion
- 172,000 Tried To Cross Border Illegally In March, The Most In 15 Years
- Texas Governor Demands Shut Down Of Migrant Facility For Abuse
- Neck Becomes Neck Area For Prosecution, Media In George Floyd Trial
- Biden On The Second Amendment: No Amendment Is Absolute
- Leaked Teacher Training Video Shows How Cultish Critical Race Theory Is Being Pushed On Teachers
- Cuomo’s NY: Illegals To Get $1.1B More In Aid Than Small Businesses
- Trump Supports New Pence Effort To Fuse Conservatism With MAGA Agenda