Herschel Walker is considering rushing to the end zone in Washington, D.C., potentially challenging Sen. Raphael Warnock’s reelection bid.
The former football star, who has the backing of former President Donald Trump if he decides to enter the race, said he and his family are prayerfully considering whether he should challenge Warnock in Georgia’s upcoming Senate race.
“I’m very honored that they would consider me running for the Senate, and my family, we’re still going through this process of praying and really considering it … and people want me to decide right now, and I said, ‘Guys, I’m going to take my time because this is a very serious, serious thing,'” he told Fox Business’s Maria Bartiromo on Sunday morning. “But I will tell you this: Herschel Walker believes in God, I believe in this country, I believe in the people, and I’m going to fight for the people of Georgia if I run, so just stay tuned. … It’s going to be exciting.”
When asked what his policy platform would be, Walker said he hopes to reunite people amid a fractious political climate.
“My priority most of all would be America. … I want to bring people back together,” he said.
Warnock, who ousted incumbent Sen. Kelly Loeffler in the 2020 special election, will have to defend his seat in 2022 in pursuit of a full six-year term. Loeffler was appointed to the seat by Gov. Brian Kemp in January 2020 after then-incumbent Sen. Johnny Isakson resigned in December 2019 due to deteriorating health.
Walker is considered a top prospect to challenge Warnock. A poll released last month showed the Trump favorite narrowly defeating the incumbent Democrat in a head-to-head contest.
The football player, a Georgia native, has aligned himself closely with Trump, speaking on the then-president’s behalf during last year’s Republican National Convention.
“It hurt my soul to hear the terrible names that people called Donald,” Walker said in his RNC speech. “The worst one is racist. I take it as a personal insult that people would think I’ve had a 37-year friendship with a racist. People that think that don’t know what they’re talking about. Growing up in the Deep South, I’ve seen racism up close. I know what it is, and it isn’t Donald Trump.”
Support coalesced further around Walker after former Sen. David Perdue, who was also defeated by a Democratic challenger during his 2020 Senate contest, declined to challenge Warnock in 2022.
“After much prayer and reflection, Bonnie and I have decided that we will not enter the race for the United States Senate in Georgia in 2022. This is a personal decision, not a political one,” Perdue said on Feb. 23. “I am confident that whoever wins the Republican Primary next year will defeat the Democrat candidate in the general election for this seat, and I will do everything I can to make that happen.”
Georgia recently implemented controversial voter reforms that attracted boycotts from corporations and activists on the Left, who argue the measure amounts to voter suppression for minority communities. In response to the new legislation, which includes provisions requiring voter identification requirements and limiting ballot drop boxes, several companies, including Delta and Coca-Cola, issued statements of disapproval. Major League Baseball relocated its 2021 All-Star game from Atlanta to Denver, Colorado, in protest of the law.
Once considered a Republican stronghold, Georgia has been trending leftward in recent years. Now represented by two Democratic senators, the Southern state was narrowly carried by President Joe Biden in the presidential election
Author : Carly Roman
Source : Washington Examiner : Herschel Walker considering US Senate bid in Georgia
Join Our Mailing List
- Jimmy Kimmel Calls Caitlyn Jenner An Ignorant A-hole For Calling Out California’s Decline
- California May Soften Gun Crime Laws, Citing Impact On People Of Color
- Sixth-Grade Girl Shoots Three At Idaho Middle School, Is Disarmed By Female Teacher
- FEC Drops Its Inquiry Into Trump’s Payments To Stormy Daniels
- Covid-19 Deaths May Be Closer To 900,000 In US, Study Finds
- Biden Struggles: Disastrous Jobs Report Shows America Is On The Right Track
- Pompeo Condemns CIA Recruitment Video For Risking Our National Security To Appease Some Liberal, Woke Agenda
- Twitter Suspends Stefanik Communications Director, Who Calls Decision Insane
- Caitlyn Jenner Vows To Do Absolute Best To End Sanctuary Policies In California
- White House Migration Strategy Faces New Backlash From Central American Leaders
- States That Voted For Biden Lost Jobs At Double The Rate Of Red States During Pandemic
- White House Condemns FL Election Security Law Signed By Gov. DeSantis
- Disney’s Snow-White Ride Prompts Furious Review After Prince Awakens Her With A Kiss – Without Consent
- In First 100 Day, Biden Repeatedly Shows He’s A Divider, Not A Uniter
- Private School Parents Pressured To Become BLM Activists, NYC Dad Says